Thursday, September 13, 2007

Lao-Tzu: Thoughts from the Tao-te Ching

In the reading Thoughts from the Tao-te Ching, the Master’s attitude toward action is that taking action does not make things better. He believes in what is called Tao. The meaning of this is “the way”. He mentions that “the Tao never does anything, yet through it all things are done” (Lao-Tzu 25). I mentioned this because I believe what he is trying to say is that the Tao is not taking action and things are getting done.

One of the ways Lao-Tzu shows his attitude toward action is through this saying, that “if you tamper to the world, you’ll ruin it” (Lao-Tzu 24). I think by this he is trying to say if you take action towards changing the world you will only make it worse.

Another reason I believe Lao-Tzu doesn’t believe action makes things better is when he mentions this in the reading, “Stop trying to control. Let go of fixed plans and concepts, and the world will govern itself” (Lao-Tzu 27). I think this shows his attitude toward action because I believe he means by this is that if you don’t act towards controlling things the world will control itself.

Lao-Tzu says “Therefore the Master says: I let go of the law, and people become honest. I let go of economics, and people become prosperous. I let go of religion, and people become serene. I let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass” (Lao-Tzu 27). I wanted to use this saying from the reading because to me this shows a good example of how the Master’s attitude is toward action. I say this because by the things he is saying is to me saying that if you don’t take action toward these things, it makes them better.
This is why I believe the Master’s attitude toward action is that action does not make things better.


Works CitedLao-Tzu. ”Thoughts From The Tao-te Ching .” A World of Ideas: Essential Reading For College Writers . Ed. Lee A. Jacobus. Trans.Stephen Mitchell. 7th ed. New York: Bedford/St. Martins,2006. pp 22-31.

3 comments:

Shakyria M. said...

I highly agree with the way you described the master's attitude toward action. I agree with you when saying how his actions does make them better, because I think that he wants people to see things(the world) the way he sees it.

Kristy said...

I completely agree with the way you interpreted the essay. This was the way I came to understand it as well. Just letting things run their own course seems to help situations better than jumping in to try and fix it. It's kind of like when a child is having an issue at school or a problem with their peers, most parents' first instinct is to fix it. But when they let the child think for themselves and solve it on their own, the child will resolve the issue and gain esteem knowing that they can figure things out on their own.

Andrew said...

I also agree with the way you interpreted the reading. Letting go of fixed concepts and ideas will un restrain the world trying to govern itself.